Friday, January 17, 2014

Allegiant (Divergent Book #3) by Veronica Roth

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/i/2013/10/16/The-Allegiant.jpgTitle: Allegiant
Author: Veronica Roth 
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Source: Santa
Age Group: Young Adult
Overall: ♥♥♥♥♥

The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories.

But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature—and of herself—while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love.

The whole Divergent series is by far my most favourite dystopian series and I really wished it wasn´t over yet. Especially Allegiant touched me deeply and in my opinion it was the perfect ending, but I will explain my reasoning if you read further on.

In Allegiant the world Tris believed to know doesn´t exist anymore. The factions are gone and the city suffers from violence and suppression. Tris wants to flee from this place in order to find out what lies behind the big fence, and she is willing to risk everything in order to get out. But what she discovers is not something she expected and Tris and Tobias are confronted with more lies and a devastating truth.

I came to love a lot of old side characters in the final book. Especially Christina and Uriah were one of my favourites, because they really are true friends for Tris and Tobias.
Tobias, however, makes a few really bad decisions in Allegiant, because he doesn´t know who he is anymore. I could understand his reasoning, but I also found it quite frustrating that he didn´t listen to Tris at all. I don´t know if I had been able to forgive him just like Tris did, but I guess Tobias was punishing himself enough.

The relationship between Tobias and Tris doesn´t get any easier in this book, quite the opposite actually. It even comes to the point where both of them doubt if there is any chance for them to trust each other again. It almost broke my heart, but it was also very refreshing. There is no easy love in Allegiant and there is no insta-love either. So many YA books focus too much on the romance part and it often seems like nothing that happens could make the protagonists loose their feelings towards each other.

This is a true dystopian series in every aspect:
  • The world is not perfect, and even the "solution" is not perfect either. It makes sense and that is the most important part. The reader has to realise that in a dystopian series nothing is even slightly perfect.
  • No easy love. Relationships are complicated and very emotionally depressing. That is real life. Love is not always about kissing and making out, standing up for each other etc. Sometimes love also means that you hurt the other person deeply and that to forgive is even harder than to forget.
  • No HEA. Yes, I guess there is no real HEA in Allegiant. But it was the perfect ending. It was a true dystopian ending. If you think about it, maybe you notice it, too. 
The Yearning Mermaid says: "I think it was perfect. I really loved it, but I can also understand that many people didn´t like it so much. I cried at the end and that is truly a sign that a book managed to move me emotionally. It. Was. Perfect."

1 comment:

  1. This book was a bit of a let down for me. Four annoyed me, I really didn't care for his POV. I liked him more when he was a mystery in first two books. Here he was so annoying, Tris was actually the reasonable one.
    Love story was all over the place and it was stealing focus. I didn't enjoy it.
    The plot in general was great though, still original, shocking, and engaging, so I gave it 4 *.
    I liked the ending as well. It was good, probably the best part of the book. I didn't hate the book as many others did because of it, but I also wasn't too sad... :X

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...